JULY 14, 2014 — AT&T* has expanded the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network** along U.S. 50 between Kansas City and Sedalia, bringing more customers the latest generation of wireless network technology.
AT&T launched 4G LTE in Kansas City in November 2011 and Sedalia in May 2013, and the expanded coverage is part of its ongoing rollout across the market. AT&T 4G LTE now offers continuous coverage along U.S. 50 between Kansas City and Sedalia.
Benefits that AT&T 4G LTE provides includes:
• Faster speeds. LTE technology is capable of delivering mobile Internet speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G.*** Customers can stream, download, upload and game faster than ever before.
• Reliability. AT&T has the most reliable 4G LTE network. Based on our analysis of independent third party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks.
• Cool new devices. AT&T offers a vast selection of 4G LTE smartphones and tablets, including the AT&T-exclusive Amazon Fire smartphone.
• Faster response time. LTE technology offers lower latency, or the processing time it takes to move data through a network, such as how long it takes to start downloading a webpage or file once you’ve sent the request. Lower latency helps to improve services like mobile gaming, two-way video calling and telemedicine.
• More efficient use of spectrum. Wireless spectrum is a finite resource, and LTE uses spectrum more efficiently than other technologies, creating more space to carry data traffic and services and to deliver a better network experience.
“We’ve seen positive response from customers on our 4G LTE launch, and as today’s expansion shows, we’re continuing our rollout of fast 4G LTE speeds to more areas of Missouri,” said John Sondag, president of AT&T Missouri.
AT&T invested about $2.55 billion in its Missouri wireless and wireline networks from 2010 through 2013, with a focus on expanding 4G LTE mobile Internet coverage and enhancing the overall performance of its networks.
“As more and more people rely on their mobile devices for information and connectivity, they must have faster connections,” said state Rep. Denny Hoskins. “AT&T’s ongoing investment in 4G LTE will provide increased access to cutting edge mobile technologies. This marks an improvement in both the quality of life for families and economic competitiveness for businesses along U.S. 50.”
About AT&T’s 4G Network:
This expansion is part of AT&T’s Project Velocity IP (VIP), a three-year investment plan announced in Fall 2012 to expand and enhance its IP broadband networks. Through this investment, AT&T is supporting its customers’ growing desire for high-speed Internet access and new mobile, app and cloud-based services. As part of Project VIP, AT&T plans to add macro cell sites nationwide by year-end 2015, as well as deploy small cells and add Distributed Antenna Systems to increase the density of its wireless network.
AT&T’s innovation and investment have resulted in a nationwide 4G network with ultra-fast speeds and a consistent user experience. Based on our analysis of independent third party data, AT&T has the highest success rate for delivering mobile content across nationwide 4G LTE networks. AT&T now has the most reliable 4G LTE network.
AT&T’s focus to deliver the best possible mobile Internet experience goes beyond 4G to embrace additional connection technologies. AT&T operates more than 34,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots at popular restaurants, hotels, bookstores and retailers, and provides access to more than 1 million globally through roaming agreements. Most AT&T smartphone customers get access to our entire national Wi-Fi network at no additional cost, and Wi-Fi usage doesn’t count against customers’ monthly wireless data plans.****
AT&T also is a leading developer of Distributed Antenna Systems, which utilize multiple small antennas to maximize coverage and speed within stadiums, convention centers, office buildings, hotels and other areas where traditional coverage methods are challenging.
Over the past six years (2008 to 2013), AT&T invested more than $140 billion into its wireless and wireline networks, when you combine capital investment and acquisitions of spectrum and wireless operations. Since 2008, AT&T has invested more capital into the U.S. economy than any other public company. In a September 2013 report, the Progressive Policy Institute ranked AT&T No. 1 on its list of U.S. “Investment Heroes.”
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Reliability claim based on third party data regarding nationwide carriers’ 4G LTE. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. 4G LTE not available everywhere.
*** Up to 10x claim compares 4G LTE download speeds to industry average 3G download speeds. Learn more about 4G LTE at att.com/network.
**** A Wi-Fi enabled device required. Other restrictions apply. See www.attwifi.com for details and locations.