Close to 20 talented local acts provided a wide variety of enjoyment at “Entertainment Extravaganza II,” a fund-raiser for the Heard House, held Sunday at the Heckart Performing Arts Center on the Smith-Cotton campus.
Sorosis and the Helen G. Steele Music Club utilize the historic Heard House, Broadway and Osage, which is badly in need of repair. In fact, the front porch is currently in danger of collapse, according to co-emcee Scott Holloway, who announced each act, along with Lucy Clark. The house is suffering the same problem as what happened to the Sedalia Public Library, with a long dry summer adversely affecting the foundation of the structure.
John T. and Lillian Heard lived in the house, which was completed in 1906. Mrs. Heard was an active member of both Sorosis and the music club. She bequeathed the house to the clubs upon her death and in 1935, the clubs began meeting there. Funds raised at the event will go towards upkeep and improvements to the house.
The show lasted two-and-a-half hours and featured mostly musical acts, but also one magician and one cowboy poet. The show concluded with flag-waving group of musicians while “40 Fingers Plus” played the Stars and Stripes Forever.” Photos by Randy Kirby, Sedalia Weekly Observer.