The Sedalia School District Foundation has more than $25,000 in local scholarships available for Smith-Cotton High seniors. Most of these scholarships are provided by S-C alums or residents with strong ties to the district.
Students interested in applying for a Foundation Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a graduate of Smith-Cotton High School
2. Provide two letters of recommendation.
a. Please note: Several scholarships have specific requirements for letters of recommendation.
b. One recommendation letter should be from school personnel and one from an outside source.
c. Letters should be generic in nature while the recommendation itself should be specific regarding your attitude, academic ability, college potential, and personal attributes.
3. Submit a written essay on “Why I should be chosen for this scholarship” unless a specific essay topic is requested.
a. Essays should be legible and grammatically correct.
b. You may wish to explain extenuating circumstances which might be important in determining your eligibility.
4. Please attach a list of your leadership qualifications and extra-curricular activities that you have been involved in at Smith-Cotton High School. You may wish to attach a resume.
5. Complete the “Teacher Recommendation” form as required.
6. Foundation scholarship recipients must write a thank you note to the appropriate Foundation Scholarship Donor, in care of the Sedalia School District Foundation, PO Box 2505, Sedalia Mo., 65302-2505 by May 30, 2014.
7. Complete the application and return to the Smith-Cotton High School Counselors office by 4 p.m. April 1, 2014