Members present: 100
1. Chef de Gare Tony Gallagher called the meeting to order at 7:50 a.m. A short Veterans Day film was shown by the pastor of Faith Baptist Church. He invited all members to join in viewing the movie “Last Ounce of Courage” at his church on Dec. 21. The prayer was given. The meal was eaten. The meeting was called to order at 8:30 a.m. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited. The prayer was given. The POW flag was placed.
2. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to approve the financial statement from Don Barbour and the minutes of the September meeting from Ernest Parker. Don Barbour also asked for volunteers to unfurl the flags on Ohio Street and around the court house. Dues are due. Blue caps are available for purchase.
3. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to accept Larry Grimstead, US Army; Cecil Hines, US Army; Savannah LaStrada, USAF; and James Bryden, US Army as new members.
4. Thank you notes for participants and persons of interest for the Veterans Day parade will be sent. The parade was a great success with 62 entries and an estimated 1000 viewers.
5. A show of hands was requested for members interested in attending a Valentine’s Day event at the Knights of Columbus Hall with a honey ham dinner and three hours of music, dancing and fellowship at a cost of $10 per person. Support was sufficient to encourage further planning.
6. Heckart Funeral Home will be hosting a Wreath of Remembrance ceremony on November 24. Don Barbour will represent the 40&8.
7. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to invite members of the Show Me Christian Youth Home to our next meeting and request them to prepare a skit for our enjoyment. Members were asked to bring a donation of canned or non-perishable food items for the home.
8. Funeral services for Walt McBride will be at 2 pm on November 23 at the Celebration Center. Tony Gallagher asked for every 40&8 member to participate in the ceremony and to be at the church at 1:30.
9. Phone caller volunteers are needed. These callers will have a short list of 40&8 members they will call monthly reminding them about the meetings. The next monthly Knights of Columbus dinner will be 4:30-7 pm, December 4. The inaugural dinner was excellent. Tony Gallagher has tickets costing $7.00 each with $1.00 of that cost returning to the 40&8. Salvation Army bell ringer volunteers are needed. Sign up with and Tony will pass the names of the volunteers on to the Salvation Army. A letter was received from the JROTC thanking the 40&8 for their support in providing trophies for their Raider competitions and awards for the cadet of the month program. A certificate was received from the Warrensburg Sons of the American Revolution recognizing the 40&8 for the display of flags in downtown Sedalia.
10. Mayor Elaine Horn discussed the relationship with the city of Sedalia and the 509th Security Squadron, Whiteman AFB. Sedalia sponsors a Christmas party for the estimated 150 children of the squadron. Donations of desserts and gifts may be delivered to the mayor’s office or will be picked up by calling the office of the mayor. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to donate $200.00 toward this party. A further donation of $236.00 was collected from the members present. A request was also made to provide non-perishable items for Christmas gift packages to be sent to squadron members serving in remote locations.
11. Lewis Bybee talked about the Common Core education proposal and listed dates and locations of forums describing the program. He encouraged all to become familiar with the proposal and the lowering of standards proposed for the children in our schools.
12. Jim Gaertner briefed the last Honor Flight was October 29 with the next one to be in May or June. The Community Santa program needs board game which may be dropped off at radio station KSIS.
13. A ceremony will take place on November 25 at 11:15 on the west side of the court house with the Fort Hood petition being presented to Vicky Hartzler. She will have comments following the presentation. Maximum attendance of 40&8 members as well as the general public is encouraged.
14. Jim Bilbruck donated a quart of pecans which were auctioned for $20.00. The proceeds are to be given for Bingo at the Warrensburg Veterans Home. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to donate $250.00 for the veterans Home Tree of Stars. An additional donation to the Tree of Stars was made by Gerri Arnold.
15. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to donate $100.00 to the Wounded Warrior deer hunt for lodging of veteran participating in the hunt.
16. A notion was made, seconded, and approved to close the meeting. The prayer was given. Tony Gallagher closed the meeting at 9:59 am. The next fellowship meeting will be Friday December 6 at 11:30 at Golden Corral and the next Voiture meeting will be at 7:45 am, December 19, 2013, at the Knights of Columbus Hall, Sedalia, MO.
TONY GALLAGHER. Chef de Gare
ERNEST PARKER, correspondent