Harold Lawson Cowherd

March 22, 2012

in Obituaries

Harold Cowherd

Harold Lawson Cowherd, 90, of Sedalia, died Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at his home.

Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, March 24 at Crown Hill Cemetery with the Rev. Jared Wheeler officiating. Visitation will be from 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. Saturday at McLaughlin Funeral Chapel. Memorial contributions are suggested to the American Diabetes Association, in care of McLaughlin Funeral Chapel.

Born Oct. 2, 1921, he was the son of the late Allen M. and Farrie F. Lawson Cowherd. As a child he was baptized in the 2nd Congregational Church of Sedalia.

He attended Whittier Elementary School and was a 1939 graduate of Smith-Cotton High School. He was an energetic youth, as such; he delivered groceries when in high school for the Sullivan Grocery Store. After graduation he took a job for a short time at the North American Aviation Plant in Kansas.

He was called on Aug. 29, 1942 for induction at Jefferson Barracks. He was put on “limited service” because of a childhood injury. He was sent to Ft. Bliss, El Paso, Texas for basic training at Camp Chaffee, Ft. Smith, Ark. It was a POW Camp for Germans.  After several attempts and attending school at Louisiana State University and Penn State University for an Army Specialized Training Program, he was sent to Lincoln, Neb., to a Mechanical Fighter Plane’s School. He was sent back to Jefferson Barracks to serve as military escort for military funerals. He soon found himself at Long Beach, Calif., at a “factory school.” While there he met up with his brother Jacque, a Navy person. They had a day or two to visit before Jacque was sent overseas. He received schooling on a C-47 plane. He heard a plane was headed for Whiteman Air Force Base and asked to be on it.  He could come home to Sedalia when off duty.

He was released as an honorably discharged veteran. He worked for the Missouri Pacific Railroad Section Gang. While on this job the Boonville Detention Center had an escaped man. He was dressed in Army Fatigues, the same as the escapee, and was picked up for questioning. He came home to Sedalia and applied for a Railroad Mail Clerk job in Kansas City. He worked out of Kansas City for 30 years. He then took a job with a bank as a courier.

Survivors include his sisters, Dorothy Berry (John) and Mary Ford, all of Independence; his brother, Jacque M. Cowherd, of Sedalia; and a host of nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by a brother, William L. Cowherd; a sister, Marjorie Hedrick; and a sister-in-law, Pauline Cowherd.


Previous post:

Next post: